Can Chromebook Download Games: Among students and organizations, Chromebooks are a popular laptop option. On Chromebooks, however, apps from Windows and macOS cannot run since Chrome OS runs on the devices.
You might be thinking: What if I want to play Steam games? You can download and play the most popular games on Steam, such as Far Cry, Inquisitor, Grand Theft Auto, Star Dynasties, etc. Steam supports Windows, Linux, and macOS. However, for steam games to run on Chromebook, you need to do a few things.
Chromebooks are limited in terms of gaming capability, but Linux Support allows users to run many desktop-level games on Chrome OS. It is a digital distribution platform and an official Linux application. Therefore, it’s compatible with Chrome OS, and its desktop games are compatible as well.
Furthermore, you don’t need to install Crouton or move the Chromebook into Developer Mode. Everything has become much more straightforward now, and installation is a breeze. So let’s get started with installing and playing Steam games on a Chromebook right away.
Can Chromebook Download Games
If you have a Chromebook, yes! You can download Steam games and install them. Steam can only be accessed on Google’s Chrome OS after certain requirements have been met. There is no native app available for Chrome OS yet, so you will have to work around this issue.
In this article, we cover how to install Steam games on Chromebooks.
Solution #1 – Install the Steam Link Android app for Chrome OS to access Steam games
Follow the below-mentioned steps to run steam games on the Chromebook.
- First, Launch the Google Play Store. On your Chromebook.
- Now Search for Steam Link. Valve Corporation is the developer.
- Install the steam app by clicking the Install button.
- Next, Open the Steam Link app.
- Sign in to your Steam account.
- The Chromebook can now be connected to a compatible controller.
- It’s time to start playing.
Solution #2 – Installing Steam as a Linux app on the Chromebook
- You must install Linux on your Chromebook by following the guide linked in the article. You can then enable GPU acceleration on Linux for Chromebook to improve graphics and game performance. Don’t worry if GPU acceleration isn’t enabled, and you can just continue with the steps.
- Execute the command below in the Linux Terminal. You will receive the latest version of Linux for your Chromebook. Don’t worry if there are errors; move on.
- You can now download Steam by clicking on this link. A DEB file on Linux is similar to an EXE file on Windows. In the Files app, move the DEB to the “Linux” section.
- After you have double-clicked on the setup file, click “Install”. Steam will run on the Chromebook once it is installed.
- After installing, press “Search” on your keyboard to find “Steam”. It can be opened after that.
- You can also manually search for the Linux folder in the App Drawer. Once Steam is open, log in. App drawers typically contain Linux folders on the last page.
- Chromebook users can smooth Steam operation by enabling Steam to download the necessary dependencies and libraries through these updates.
- Steam will launch automatically once it has been updated. You need to enter the information for your Steam account now. Once Steam has been updated, it should appear automatically. If it does not, you can open it manually from the App Drawer.
- Having successfully run Steam on a Chromebook, there you have it. One more setting needs to be enabled.
- Steam will appear in the top-right corner. Using this option, you can play a number of Windows games that are not natively available for Linux. Click Settings -> Steam Play -> Enable Steam Play for all other titles and then click “OK.”.
[su_note note_color=”#f7bdce”]We hope by reading our article “can Chromebook download games,” all of your queries are solved. If you want to ask anything related to Chromebook working and installing its software, feel free to ask us in the comment section. We will try our best to solve your queries in a short time.[/su_note]
Other Related Articles
- Best Chromebook Laptops
- Best Chromebooks for Kids
- Best Chromebook for Students
- Best Chromebook For Writers
- Best Chromebook Under 300
- Best Chromebook For Elementary Students
- Best Chromebook For Zoom
- Best Chromebook For Linux
- Best Chromebook Tablets
- Best Chromebooks Under 400
- Best Chromebook Mouse
- Best Chromebook For Business
- Best Chromebook For Roblox
- Best Chromebook For Seniors